11-19
1.他像什么都懂似地谈论那件事。
He discussed it knowingly.
2. 他从前常去镇上的酒吧和夜总会。
He used to frequent the town's bar and night-clubs.
3. 那位海军上将因儿子染上毒瘾而十分苦恼。
The admiral was afflicted with a drug addict for his son.
4. 这使美国失业总人数超过一千万。
That boosts the total number of unemployment Americans to more than 10 million.
5. 陈先生乃中国学界泰斗,他的那本书似为汉语修辞学研究的嚆矢。
Mr. Chen, our respected teacher, is a renowned master in the academic circles of China. That book written by him seems to be the earliest one in the Chinese rhetoric studies.
6. Distant thunder greeted this scheme, from the south Pacific, where de Gaulle on his travels sent orders to prepare proposals.
当时远在南太平洋旅行的戴高乐听到这个计划,大发雷霆,下令提出新的方案。
11-21
1.癌症是一种顽症。
Cancer is a kind of persistent ailment.
2.我并未影射如何人或任何事。
I didn't allude to anybody or anything.
3.这个家族的历史可以追溯到十七世纪。
The family can trace its history to the 17th century.
4.新闻机构采访的经济学家认为美国的就业市场前景黯淡,越来越恶化。
Economists interviewed by news organizations call the U. S. job market bleak and getting worse.
5.不少人认为“信雅达”是严复的戛戛独造,并奉之为译事圭臬。
Many people hold that "faithfulness, expressiveness and elegance" is Yan Fu's own great original creation and regard it as the standard of translation.
6. The sister in a Melbourne hospital told me that her 18-year-old son was the baby.在墨尔本的一家医院里,护士长告诉我她那18岁的儿子是她所有孩子中最小的一个。
baby: n. a person of any age, who is the youngest of a family among brothers and sisters 兄弟姐妹中最年小的
sister: n. senior nurse in a hospital 护士长或资历高的护士
11-22
1. 地震死亡人数随后攀升。
Death toll climbs in quake aftermath.
2. 价格跌落到了最低水平。
Prices bottomed out.
3. 那些自暴自弃的人无法成功。
Those who abandon themselves to despair can not succeed.
4. 根据传统经验,急速上升的通货膨胀是经济衰退的前奏。
Rapidly rising inflation has traditionally been a precursor to recession.
5. 国家质检总局网站公布消息:政府决定立即停止发放食品生产质量免检资格,禁止在广告中使用此类特权。
The government will immediately cease bestowing “inspection-free'' status on food producers, ordering them to stop citing the privilege in advertisements, QSIQ said on its Web site.
6. Scientists need to respond forcefully to animal rights advocates whose arguments are confusing the public and thereby threatening advances in heath knowledge and care.
科学家需要对动物权利拥护者的观点做出有力反应,因为这些人的论点让公众感到困惑,这会威胁到健康知识和卫生护理方面的进步。
11-24
1.我等到不耐烦了,我要回家了。
I am fed up with waiting; I’m going home.
2.我们得减少支出,否则就要负债了。
We must cut down expenses or we’ll be getting into debt.
3.他既然已经认错了,你就原谅他一次吧。
Since he has apologied, I suppose (that) you forgive him just this once.
4.请原谅我的无知,你们说的到底是什么呀。
Forgive my ignorance, but what exactly are you talking about。
5.她父亲起初反对她去国外念书,但最后还是回心转意了。
Her father at first refused to let her study abroad but he came round (to it) /agreed in the end.
in the end adv.最后, 终于
6. Chilly gusts of wind with a taste of rain in them had well nigh dispeopled the streets.(英译汉)阵阵寒风,带着雨意,街上冷冷清清,几乎没有什么人了。
11-25
1.一年有春夏秋冬四季。
There are four seasons in a year: Spring, Summer, Autumn/Fall and Winter.
2.他答应这件事对谁也不讲,可是他食言了。
He went back on/renege on his promise to tell nobody about this.
3.只要病人还有一息生机,医生就有责任挽救。
While a spark of life remains, it is a doctor's duty to save the patient.
4.我不在的时候,你能否替我照看一下我的鹦鹉?
Will you look after my parrot when I am away?
5.我找到新的公寓了。目前的住户本周未搬出去,我下星期三搬进去。
I have found a new flat.The present tenant is moving out this weekend and I am moving in on Wednesday.
6.Just because someone doesn‘t love you the way you want them to, doesn‘t mean they don‘t love you with all they have. (英译汉)
爱你的人如果没有按你所希望的方式来爱你,那并不代表他们没有全心全意地爱你。
11-26
1.咱们就此别过, 后会有期!
Let's say goodbye here; hope to see you in the forseeable future。
2.这就是我的决定,你喜不喜欢都得接受!
This is my decision, like it or lump it!
3.您要是来不了,请打电话让我知道一声。
If you can’t come, ring up and let me know.
4.我知道这张照片里有你,可是我认不出是哪一个。
I know that you are in this photograph but I can’t pick you out.
5.起初我很愤怒地指责他,但是后来当我知道了事情的全部,就明白他是对的,所以我去找他收回我说的话。
I blamed him bitterly at first but later, when I heard the whole story, I realized that he had been right and I went to them and took back my remarks.
6. I've learned that you cannot make someone love you. All you can do is be someone who can be loved. The rest is up to them。(英译汉)
我知道,你不能迫使别人爱上你,你所能做到的就是把自己变成一个值得别人去爱的人,剩下来的,就随便他们吧!
11-27
1.他给我示范怎样换保险丝。
He showed me how to change a fuse.
2.他喝得太多了,没法开车回家。
He was too drunk to drive home.
3.现在要我来说计划能否成功还为时过早。
It’s too soon (for me) to say whether the scheme/plan will succeed or not.
4.我不着急。他不必用航空寄来,海运过来就可以。
I’m in no hurry。 He needn’t send it by air。He can send it by sea.
5.你本不必写这么长的文章。老师只要求写300个字而你却写了600个字。
You needn’t have written such a long essay. The teacher only asked for 300 words, and you have written 600.
6.Immature love says:“I love you because I need you。”Mature love says:“I need you because I love you"(英译汉)
不成熟的爱说:“我爱你,因为我需要你。”成熟的爱说:“我需要你,因为我爱你。” |